Desolation Canyon Recreation Management Area

Quick Facts

Desolation Canyon Recreation Management Area


(435) 636-0975


Things To Do


The 84 miles of the Green River that run through Desolation and Gray Canyons provide a premiere wilderness river trip through Utah's deepest canyons. The river traveler encounters approximately 60 Class II and III rapids. In addition to river-running, there are wonderful opportunities for camping, archaeologic and geologic interpretation, wildlife watching, hiking, and exploring.

Map of Desolation Canyon Rec. Management Area

Latitude, Longitude: 39.571822, -110.034256



  • Boating

    Desolation-Gray Canyons Section of the Green River is a Limited Access Area - Permits are required year round! You must carry a fire pan on all Desolation-Gray river trips.

    A permit is required year-round to run Desolation Canyon. Permits are issued only through advance reservations to individuals 18-years and older. The maximum group size is 25 people. Do not show up at the launch ramp without a permit expecting to launch or to join another group. Launch reservations will be issued on a first come, first serve basis via telephone or in person. Launches may be reserved up to five months prior to the launch date. For example, June 3 launch may be reserved anytime on or after January 3. You can obtain any available launch within the five month period. If the first call-in date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Federal Holiday, reservations will be taken on the next business day. If an unforeseen absence causes the phone to go unanswered for a day, that date will also be booked on the next business day.

    Call the recreation desk at (435) 636-0975. Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. until noon, Monday through Friday for telephone call in. When calling you you need to talk to an actual person in the Recreation division, reservations will not be made through the voice mail system. Call in reservations take precedent over walk in reservations. Walk in reservations can be made after 1 pm when the normal recreation desk hours are over. The following will be requested when making a reservation.

    * Size of group * Name, address, and phone number of trip leader * Name, address, and phone number of alternate trip leader (this is optional) * Payment information (i.e., credit card number, expiration date, and billing address)

    A launch reservation is not a river permit. A permit will be issued after all fees are paid. All fees are non-refundable.

    Commercial outfitters offer river trips from spring through fall.

  • Bicycling

    Please contact park services for more information.

  • Camping

    Campsites are available along the river. Permits are required. Contact the park office for more details.

  • Fishing

    Fishing is permitted in the Green River with a Utah fishing license. Anglers report that fishing in the Green River at this location is not very good.

  • Historic Sites

    Please contact park services for more information.

  • Hunting

    Hunting is permitted in some locations. Contact the field office for more information.

  • Off Highway Vehicles

    Please contact park services for more information.

  • Picnicking

    Picnic areas are available to visitors.

  • Water Sports

    Please contact park services for more information.

Phone Numbers


(435) 636-0975


(435) 636-0975