Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Packwood Winter Recreation Area

Safety & Emergency Aid

* Emergencies: Call 911. The nearest public phones to Orr Creek Sno-Park are located at the Cispus Learning Center (off Road 23) and the Tower Rock Trading Post. The nearest public phones to Wakepish Sno-Park are located in Randle. (Please refer to map for locations.)
* Safety Alert: Roads to both Sno-Parks are plowed, but not sanded. Be prepared for steep grades and compact snow and ice. Carry and use traction devices. Call the Randle or Packwood offices for up-to-date road conditions before you leave.
* Road Reports: Help each other by providing feedback on roads, trails, and snow conditions after you return from your trip. Please call (360) 497-1100 or stop by the Packwood or Randle Ranger Stations.
* Road/Trail System: Most of the snow trails on the Randle WRA area roads. Wheeled vehicles are not allowed on these road/ trails, because they create deep ruts in the snow. These might last the entire winter, making it difficult for snowmobiles and skiers to use the roads as trails. All roads listed are closed to wheeled vehicles (including motorcycles and ATV?s) during the winter months. Other non-posted roads are open for wheeled vehicle use.
* Avalanche Information: For current snow avalanche conditions, contact the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center (NWAC) at (206) 526-6677 or (503) 808-2400.
* Parking: For your safety, avoid parking in turn-around areas or in a way that would block traffic flow. Park facing downhill to facilitate leaving at the end of a snowy day.
* Weather: For current weather conditions, contact the National Weather Service-Portland or the National Weather Service-Seattle.

Sno-Park Permits

All Vehicles: A Washington or Oregon Sno-Park permit is required for each vehicle parked in the Packwood and Randle Winter Recreation areas. Vehicles without the appropriate Sno-Park permits are subject to notice of violation and fine.

Washington State Licensed Vehicles: Washington Sno-Park permits are required for all Washington vehicles using Washington Sno-Parks. Washington licensed autos must have a Washington Sno-Park permit to avoid citations.

Washington State Sno-Park Permits: Sno-Park permits are available at, the Cougar Store, Yale Lake Store, White Pass Sports Hut in Packwood, and Eagles Cliff Store, or by mail from the office of Winter Recreation, Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, 7050 Clearwater Lane KY-11, Olympia, Washington 98504.
Restricted Areas

Yakama Indian Reservation: Closed to public use. The boundary between the Gifford Pinchot National Forest and the Reservation in the Midway-Meadows area is a north-south line over the summit of Potato Hill. Trespassers will be cited.

Mount St. Helens: The area north of Mount St. Helens (within the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument) is a Restricted Area. It includes the crater, pumice plain to the north and the Spirit Lake basin. The area is closed to the public in order to provide for the recovery of the land and to avoid disturbance of scientific studies.

Snow trails in the Mount St. Helens Winter Recreation Area are available for snowmobiling, skiing, or snowshoeing. The use of wheeled vehicles (including motorcycles and ATV?S) on these routes is strictly prohibited. Roads outside the winter recreation area are generally open for use by wheeled vehicles.
Wilderness Areas

36 CFR 261 prohibits mechanized and motorized equipment in wilderness areas. This means snowmobiles are not allowed in wilderness areas. Cross-country skiing is allowed. Please note that some of the groomed snowmobile trails run parallel with the Wilderness boundaries. Keep snowmobiles outside Wilderness areas. Entering the Wilderness on motorized vehicles will result in a citation.

Violations of 36 CFR 261 may result in fines up to $5,000 and/or six months in jail.


Road Access

Packwood WRA Road Access: Packwood WRA may be accessed from the south, via I-5 to U.S. Hwy. 12 east, through Morton and Randle to Packwood. From the north via Hwy. 7 to Elbe, then Hwy. 7 to Morton, then U.S. Hwy. 12 east to Packwood. From the east, take U.S. Hwy. 12 from Yakima west over White Pass to Packwood.

Randle WRA Road Access: Randle WRA may be accessed from the south, via I-5 to U.S. Hwy. 12 east, through Morton to Randle. From the north via Hwy. 7 to Elbe, then Hwy. 7 to Morton, then U.S. Hwy. 12 east to Randle. From the east, take U.S. Hwy. 12 from Yakima west over White Pass through Packwood to Randle.