Jimmy Carter National Historic Site

The Plains Train Depot

The Plains Train Depot contains a self-guided museum with exhibits focusing on the 1976 Presidential Campaign. It served as a train depot from 1888 to 1951, when passenger service to the area was discontinued. The building was opened in 1976 as Jimmy Carter's Presidential Campaign Headquarters and during that time approximately 10,000 people a day came to Plains to find out about candidate Carter. Many state primary victories, as well as the presidential victory, were held in the streets around the depot.