Wye Oak State Park

Quick Facts

Wye Oak State Park

Maryland

(410) 820-1668

Map Directions

Things To Do

   

Overview

Wye Oak State Park park primarily existed to protect the beloved Wye Oak Tree that once stood at the site of the park. The Wye Oak, Maryland's State Tree and the largest White Oak in the United States, toppled June 6, 2002 during a thunderstorm in the village of Wye in Talbot County on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Believed to be more than 460 years old, the tree was purchased by the State Maryland in 1939, and was declared Maryland's State Tree in 1941. The tree site still exists and can be viewed from sunrise to sunset daily.

The park consists of 29 acres and is located on State Route 662 in the community of Wye Mills in Talbot County.

Standing quietly next to the site of the Wye Oak is a brick structure, a story and a half high. The structure dates back to colonial times and was once used as a one-room schoolhouse. The school house is believed to be the second oldest school in Talbot County. The Queen Anne Garden Club restored the "Little House", as they affectionately called it in 1952. The foundation was strengthened, windowpanes repaired and a walkway laid. The restored interior was furnished with a schoolmaster's desk and stool, a long pine table and benches, and a dunce stool.

Plans are underway to develop an interpretive display of the history of the Wye Oak on the grounds. The display will contain pieces of the Wye Oak, interpretive panels and a young e Wye Oak sapling.

Map of Wye Oak (MD)

Latitude, Longitude: 38.939414, -76.079715

READ MORE

Activities

  • Historic Sites

    Plans are underway to develop an interpretive display of the history of the Wye Oak on the grounds. The display will contain pieces of the Wye Oak, interpretive panels and a young e Wye Oak sapling.

    Old Wye Mill: The mill has been in operation since 1664 and continues to operate on a limited basis. Its ancient grindstones produce water ground flour similar to that produced at the mill for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. The mill is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Maryland Antiquities.

    Wye Church: This church is said to be one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in the country. The original church was built in 1721 over the foundation of an earlier structure believed to have been built in the last seventeenth century. The exterior is the original brickwork. The interior features high box pews, a canopied hanging pulpit and original gifts to the church.

  • Picnicking

    Limited picnic facilities are available.

Directions

Driving

The park is located on the Eastern Shore in Talbot County on MD Route 662, approximately one mile from the intersection of Route 50 and Route 404.

Phone Numbers

Primary

(410) 820-1668

Links