Names Hill

Quick Facts

Names Hill

Wyoming

(307) 367-4358

Map Directions

Things To Do

     

Overview

Names Hill, on the cliffs rising above the Green River, is one of three locations along the Oregon Trail where emigrants registered their presence. Here they camped and carved their names into the soft limestone. The earlist dates back to 1822 (making it the oldest pioneer inscription in Wyoming), but the most famous is that of mountain man Jim Bridger, who despite reportedly being unable to read or write, left his mark here in 1844.

Names Hill was located near a heavily used crossing of the Green River. The earliest human recordings at the site are Native American pictographs. European American names began appearing as early as 1822 as mountain men crossed the river on their way to the beaver streams of the Western Rocky Mountains. In 1844, Caleb Greenwood and Isaac Hitchcock lead the first wagon train over what would later be called the Sublette-Greenwood Cutoff, along the way crossing the Green River at Names Hill. The wagon trails would rest at the Green River following a 40-miles waterless trek across the prairie, providing an opportunity for travelers to add their names to the hill. The James Bridger "signature" is enclosed by chain-link fencing. A couple of historic markers identify the site and signature so it is easy to locate.

Map of Names Hill

Latitude, Longitude: 42.174944, -110.188215

READ MORE

Activities

  • Camping

    Camping is available near the site.

  • Fishing

    Follow state fishing guidelines.

  • Picnicking

    Picnic areas are located near the site.

Seasonality/Weather

Open year-round.

Directions

Driving

34-miles north of Kemmerer on US 189.

Phone Numbers

Primary

(307) 367-4358

Links