New Cumberland Locks And Dam - Ohio River
New Cumberland Locks and Dam provide year-round navigation of the Ohio River as well as a great fishing location. The navigation system is located on the right descending bank of the Ohio River, just off Ohio State Route 7 at the small town of Stratton, Ohio. Across the river and two miles downstream lies New Cumberland, WV, the originally planned site of the lock and dam, and hence its namesake. The tall stacks and white steam of the coal-fired Ohio Edison Sammis Power Plant between Stratton and neighboring Port Homer tower over the project. A modern structure with a 1,200- by 110-ft main chamber enables large tows to make quick passage through the lock. This area is along the Lewis and Clark route.
New Cumberland navigation project was constructed from 1955 to 1961, with the locks opening for traffic in November 1959. This facility eliminated the original Locks and Dams 7, 8 and 9 which were constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1904-1914. The three replaced projects each contained a single lock and the old-style wooden wicket dam
Montgomery averages about 450 commercial lockages every month, plus another 275 lockages of pleasure craft during the busy summer months.
This navigation system is frequented by commercial and pleasure boats. Visitors can enjoy pleasure boating in navigation pools.
Camping is available at the nearby Atwood Lake.
Fishing is allowed in navigation pools. Sauger, smallmouth bass, walleye and white bass are attracted to the currents at lock and dam tailwaters. Walleye and sauger will start feeding about an hour before sunset and then throughout the night.
Picknicking is available at the nearby Atwood Lake.
Many people use the navigation pools as a lake for pleasure boating without ever using a lock and some do not realize that the miles of clear channel are created by the dams. Water sports are increasing in popularity and the water quality of the rivers has improved.
This navigation system is open to the public year-round.
Located on OH 7, 9 mi N of Steubenville.