Susquehanna State Park

Quick Facts

Susquehanna State Park

Pennsylvania

(570) 988-5557

Map Directions

Things To Do

Overview

This 20-acre riverfront recreational area is in the city of Williamsport. The West Branch Susquehanna River was a travel route for settlers to the interior of Pennsylvania. In 1833, the West Branch Division of the Pennsylvania Canal opened from Northumberland to Lock Haven, passing through the current state park. By the late 1800s, logging became the main industry of the area. At this time it was not uncommon in the spring to find the river jammed bank-to-bank with timber floating to mills downstream. The initial land for the park was purchased for flood control. Susquehanna State Park was created through the joint efforts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Williamsport. The park occupies the floodplain between the river and the flood control levy. The park is the only "riverfront recreational area" constructed by the former Department of Forests and Waters, a precursor to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The park opened to the public in 1961. Today, the rich soil of the floodplain supports a diversity of vegetation, dominated by silver maple and black cherry trees. Although primarily forested, there are areas of wetlands and open grassy areas. The main attraction of the park is the Susquehanna State Park. Fishing, boating, and picnicking are all popular activities here.

Map of Susquehanna (PA)

Latitude, Longitude: 41.222300, -77.064720

READ MORE

Activities

  • Boating

    A boat launch provides access to the West Branch Susquehanna River and the 652-acre Hepburn Street Dam. Non-powered boats must have one of the following: launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; or boat registration or launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Motorboats must display a current boat registration.

    The modern paddlewheeler, Hiawatha, offers river excursions May through October. Call (570) 326-2500 or visit http://www.ridehiawatha.com for information and tickets. The Hiawatha House sells souvenirs and a variety of snacks, sandwiches and beverages during the operational season of the Hiawatha Paddlewheeler.

  • Fishing

    The Susquehanna River has warm water and cold water fishing. Common species are smallmouth bass, panfish and catfish.

  • Historic Sites

    The West Branch Susquehanna River was a travel route for settlers to the interior of Pennsylvania. In 1833, the West Branch Division of the Pennsylvania Canal opened from Northumberland to Lock Haven, passing through the current state park. By the late 1800s, logging became the main industry of the area. At this time it was not uncommon in the spring to find the river jammed bank-to-bank with timber floating to mills downstream.

    The initial land for the park was purchased for flood control. Susquehanna State Park was created through the joint efforts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Williamsport. The park occupies the floodplain between the river and the flood control levy. The park is the only "riverfront recreational area" constructed by the former Department of Forests and Waters, a precursor to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The park opened to the public in 1961.

    The rich soil of the floodplain supports a diversity of vegetation, dominated by silver maple and black cherry trees. Although primarily forested, there are areas of wetlands and open grassy areas.

  • Picnicking

    Riverside picnic tables are scattered throughout the area. A picnic pavilion may be reserved by calling 570-326-2500. If unreserved, the picnic pavilion is available for free on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • Water Sports

    A boat launch provides access to the West Branch Susquehanna River and the 652-acre Hepburn Street Dam that is deep enough for water-skiing.

Directions

Driving

From US 220, take the Reach Road Exit. Turn right onto Reach Road. Turn right onto Arch Street. The park entrance is on the right side of the north side of the Arch Street Bridge.

Phone Numbers

Primary

(570) 988-5557

Links