Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site

Quick Facts

Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site

Texas

(979) 345-4656

Map Directions

Things To Do

 

Overview

Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site is on 66 acres along Varner Creek, 50 miles south of Houston in Brazoria County. The site was donated to the state in 1957 by Miss Ima Hogg, daughter of Texas Gov. James S. Hogg, and dedicated and opened on March 24, 1958.

Gov. Hogg bought the property in 1902. While he had initially thought of it as an investment, Hogg soon came to think fondly of the plantation as a second home for his scattered family. Hogg was convinced that the property contained oil in quantities equal to Spindletop, and he drilled several wells trying to find it. He died, however, in 1906, 14 years before his beliefs were vindicated. The West Columbia field was brought in during 1920 and proved very productive, becoming the cornerstone of the Hogg family wealth.

Until 1958, the Hogg family leased the surface rights for farming and raising livestock, but usually kept the house and immediate outbuildings for weekend and vacation use. In 1958, Miss Ima Hogg, well known Texas collector and philanthropist, refurbished and refurnished the house and kitchen building and donated the property to the state to commemorate her father and other Texas and American heroes.

Map of Varner-Hogg Plantation (TX)

Latitude, Longitude: 29.162618, -95.640836

READ MORE

Activities

  • Historic Sites

    Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site, a Texas Historical Commission property, is situated on 66 acres along the Brazos River, 50 miles south of Houston in Brazoria County. The site was donated to the state in 1957 by Miss Ima Hogg, daughter of Texas Gov. James S. Hogg, and dedicated and opened on March 24, 1958.

    Today, the site tells the story of the plantation's 134-year history. Although the land was first settled by Austin colonist Martin Varner in 1824, the antebellum mansion was built by slaves of the property's second owner, Columbus Patton, using handmade bricks from the Brazos River mud. In 1901, James S. Hogg, the first native-born Texas governor, purchased the land for oil speculation. The site includes the majestic plantation house, pecan orchards, numerous original outbuildings and outdoor features including the governor's bathtub, Patton's cemetery and sugarcane mill ruins.

Directions

Driving

The site is located 2 miles north of West Columbia on FM 2852. From Houston, take State Highway 288 south to State Highway 35. Turn south on State Highway 35 and travel 12 miles to West Columbia. Outside West Columbia, take FM 2852 to Park Road 51 (1702 North 13th Street).

Phone Numbers

Primary

(979) 345-4656

Links