Bridgeport State Park

Quick Facts

Bridgeport State Park


(360) 902-8844

Map Directions

Things To Do


Bridgeport State Park is a 748-acre camping park with 7,500 feet of freshwater shoreline on Rufus Woods Lake. Set directly behind Chief Joseph Dam, this lake is actually a segment of the Columbia River. The park provides 18 acres of lawn and some shade in the midst of a desert terrain. "Haystacks," unusual volcanic formations resembling their name, are the park's most striking feature. A park plaque honors Mr. Ralph Van Slyke who, with the most common garden tools, cut a park in the valley above Chief Joseph Dam in the early 1960s. The park was named for the town of Bridgeport, which from 1881 to 1889 was known as Westfield. In 1889, Mr. J. Covert, a citizen of Bridgeport, Connecticut, came west to survey a railroad route and renamed Westfield after his hometown. The park offers many recreational activities including: boating, camping, fishing, golfing, hiking, picnicking, and swimming.

Map of Bridgeport (WA)

Latitude, Longitude: 48.009564, -119.614849



  • Boating

    The park provides two watercraft launches and 240 feet of dock. A daily watercraft launching permit is needed and a trailer dumping permit; both available at the park.. Annual permits also may be purchased at State Parks Headquarters in Olympia, at region offices, online, and at parks when staff is available.

  • Camping

    The park provides 14 tent spaces, 20 utility spaces, one dump station, two restrooms (both ADA) and two showers. Maximum site length is 45 feet (may have limited availability). The campground is situated on a lawn with many shade trees. Most facilities are modern.

  • Fishing

    Fishing is open year-round. The lake is abundant in rainbow trout, silvers and walleye. Most fishing is by boat. Shore fishing may require a Colville Tribe fishing license in addition to a state license if fishing off of state park property. Colville Tribe fishing licenses can be purchased in the cities of Bridgeport or Brewster.

  • Golfing

    Lakewoods Golf Course is located in the park. It is a 9-hole course.

  • Hiking

    Four miles of hiking are available.

  • Picnicking

    The first-come, first-served day-use area provides 20 unsheltered picnic tables.

  • Water Sports

    Freshwater swimming and water skiing are available.


Park hours/updates: Summer: 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Winter: Closed Nov. 1, re-opens Feb. 28. Camping: Check-in time, 2:30 p.m. Check-out time, 1 p.m. Quiet hours: 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.



Located three miles northeast of Bridgeport, Wash., in the north central area of the state in Okanogan County. From Bridgeport: Drive north on Highway 17 for .5 mile. After crossing the Columbia River, turn right at the park sign. Continue approximately two miles to park entrance. From Wenatchee: Drive north on Highway 97, then proceed south on Highway 17 for eight miles. Turn at the park sign and continue approximately two miles to park entrance.

Phone Numbers


(360) 902-8844