Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park

Grant Village Visitor Center

The Grant Visitor Center is located on the shore of the West Thumb of Yellowstone Lake one mile off of the main park road at Grant Village Junction. The visitor center and development are named for President Ulysses S. Grant, eighteenth president of the United States, who signed the bill creating Yellowstone National Park in 1872. The facility was constructed during the 1970s and, along with the entire Grant development, was and is a controversial Yellowstone development due to its location in prime grizzly bear habitat (the area is the location of several major cutthroat trout spawning streams).

The visitor center hosts an exhibit that interprets fire's role in the environment, using the fires of 1988 as the example. The movie Ten Years after Fire is shown on a regular schedule throughout the summer months. The Yellowstone Association has a sales area in the lobby of the visitor center.

Open daily beginning May 23: 8 am?7 pm.
Exhibits & video on the role of fire in Yellowstone. Information & YA store.
Call 307-242-2650.